To update the System Program / Firmware of your KATANA MkII amp you will need the following items:
- KATANA MkII amp.
Applies to: KATANA-50 / 50 EX / 100 / HEAD / ARTIST / ARTIST HEAD
- Laptop or desktop computer with Windows or macOS Operating System.
Inter-web connection for your computer.
- USB 2.0 A to B data/printer cable for connection from KATANA MkII amp to USB 2.0 A port on computer.
- If the computer only has USB-C ports, please purchase a sold separate 3rd party USB-C HUB with USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 A ports available.
The following videos also explain the firmware update process in detail and can be used for any KATANA MkII firmware version update.
Windows Computer User Instructions:
How to Update Katana Mk2 Firmware? Version 2.0 for Windows 10
macOS Computer User Instructions:
How to Update Katana Mk2 Firmware? Version 2.0 for macOS
Perform the steps below for the firmware update process:
NOTE: Although the order of the steps is partially different from that shown in the video, either procedure will work.
- Navigate to your KATANA MkII product page use weblink provided below, then mouse select/click on the image of your specific KATANA MKII amp model: BOSS - BOSS Amplifiers
- Mouse click and open the "Downloads" tab, and click "KATANA MkII System Program Ver. X.XX".
-Instructions on how to check the current version of your amplifier can be found at the top of this page. Review the "HOW TO TELL THE VERSION" section.
- Scroll down the page, and download the archived file:
- If using Windows, right mouse click and EXTRACT ALL to the downloads folder or desktop.
"katana2_sys_vXXX*" folder appears. *XXX: firmware version
- If using macOS, the download should auto extract to the Downloads Folder.
- See example of the extracted "katana2_sys_vXXX" firmware update folder below:
* The example images are for Ver. 2.00.
- Inside the "katana2_sys_vXXX" firmware update folder will be the two update files, necessary for the update, both the KATANAM2.BIN and ROMINFO.TXT files are needed for the update.
- Make sure the amplifier is turned OFF, then turn the MASTER volume all the way down.
- While holding down both the [CH1] and [PANEL] buttons, simultaneously turn on the amp power.
-The LED indicators start flashing, and the amplifier will enter "Update Mode".
- Connect the amplifier to your computer using a USB 2.0 A to B data/printer cable, connect directly to a USB 2.0 A port on the computer. Note: Not all USB cables and ports are the same, please make sure to use a USB 2.0 A cable and USB 2.0 A port on the computer.
If necessary use a USB HUB to provide the USB 2.0 A port necessary for compatible connectivity.
-Once connected, the "BOSS_KTNMK2" (DRIVE:) appears in the File Explorer(Windows) or Ton the computer screen.
- Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana2_sys_vXXX" folder into the "BOSS_KTNMK2" drive. Both the KATANAM2.BIN and ROMINFO.TXT files are necessary for the update.
*Do not copy the entire folder itself.
*Do not try to open these files. Only drag/drop or copy/paste the KATANAM2.BIN and ROMFINFO.TXT files into the BOSS_KTNMK2 (DRIVE:).
- See example of update files added to the update KATANA MKII drive below:
- When the drag/drop or copy/paste is finished, soft EJECT the drive on your computer by, Right Mouse Clicking the BOSS_KTNMK2(DRIVE:) and choose EJECT.
Once the DRIVE: has been ejected, then disconnect the USB cable from either computer or amp, whichever is more convenient.
-The [PANEL] button should start blinking after disconnecting the USB cable.
- Press the blinking [PANEL] button.
-The update starts, and will run it's process, you'll see a series of circulating EFFECT LEDs light up.
*Never turn off the power while the update is in progress.
- Once the update is completed, then the LED indicators for the EFFECTS change to blinking green, showing the update was successful, power OFF the amp, the recycle power and turn the power back ON.
*If the EFFECTS LEDs are blinking RED then this means the update failed, and you'll need to start back at STEP1 again, power OFF the amp, then review the instructions more carefully, and try to execute the update again, starting at STEP 1.
Visual example of successful firmware update should show blinking GREEN EFFECTS LEDs:
- Immediately after doing the Firmware Update, power OFF, again, then perform a Factory Reset.
This will help realign the firmware update, just in case there was any data skew during the update process.
- To perform the Factory Reset:
While holding down the [PANEL] button, turn the power ON.
Each of the EFFECTS buttons continues blinking consecutively from the left. When the blinking stops, all the KATANA Mk II’s settings return to the factory-set state.
* It takes approximately 30 seconds for the factory reset to be completed. Don’t turn off the power while the factory reset is in progress.