Note: Due to the age of the product, our Service Department no longer services or the VS line of recorders. If you need update assistance, you can try contacting a local service center for help with updating:
The VS-1680 can be user-updated with Standard MIDI Files (SMF). The update is provided as 16 separate SMFs. The following tools are required:
* MIDI Sequencer that can load and play back SMFs
* MIDI Cable
* VS-1680 Update files found here: https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/vs-1680/updates_drivers/915f8bc3-bb02-4a75-9e65-82b3b6606e3e/
1. Connect the MIDI Out of the sequencer to the MIDIIn of the VS-1680.
2. Hold down TRACK SELECT/CH EDIT button 7 and STATUS button 7 while power on the VS-1680. "System Update?" will be displayed.
3. Press YES. the message "Waiting MIDI-EX" will be displayed.
4. Load and play the SMFs "VS168001.mid" through VS168016.mid in sequential order. After all SMFs have been played into the VS-1680, "Update SysPRG?" will be displayed.
5. Press YES. The message "Please RebootOK" will be displayed.
6. Power off and back on the VS-1680 to complete the update.