In Patch mode, each patch or rhythm can utilize one MFX processor, one Chorus/Delay, and/or one Reverb. These effects can drastically change or enhance the sound of a patch.
In Performance mode, you're given a total of three MFX processors, one Chorus/Delay, and one Reverb. These effects must be shared by all sixteen parts. Because the Fantom-X doesn't know which of the sixteen parts you want to apply the effects to, they're turned off by default. This may drastically alter the sound of your patches, and is especially noticeable on guitar patches with distortion.
Fortunately, you can effectively "pull in" effects from Patch mode into Performance mode and apply them to your parts:
- Press PERFORM. Select Performance PRST: 01 Seq:Template.
- Press F2 (Part View) and then F1 (Level Pan).
- Highlight part 1, press ENTER to open the Patch List, select the desired patch, and press F8 (Select).
- Press EFFECTS.
- In the box labeled "Part", select "1".
- Switch the field directly below the Part box to "PAT". The routing for part 1 will now reflect that of the patch assigned to it.
- At the top of the screen, in the field labeled "MFX 1 SRC", select "P 1". The effect for part 1 will now reflect that of the patch assigned to it.
- If you'd like to pull in the Chorus/Delay and Reverb, switch both the "CHO SRC" and "REV SRC" fields to "P 1" as well. You will have to manually adjust the amount of each in the fields to the left of the Chorus and Reverb boxes.
The patch you selected on part 1 will now sound the same as it does in Patch mode.