The Mute Group feature in the SPD-SX lets you assign a specific pad (or set of pads) so it stops playing when another pad is hit.
For example, if pad #1 and #5 are assigned to the same Mute Group number, hitting pad #1 will automatically stop pad #5 if it is playing and vice-versa. This can be useful if you have a "phrase" type wave playing on pad #5, and you want it to stop playing automatically as soon as you hit pad #1.
Here's how to access and assign Mute Groups to pads.
- Select a Kit to edit.
- Press MENU.
- Use the cursor buttons to highlight the "PAD" icon, and then press ENTER.
- Press cursor up or down to select "MUTE GROUP."
- Hit one of the pads that you'd like to setup a Mute Group for.
- Press + or - to choose a desired Mute Group number for the pad (1-9).
- Hit the other desired pad that you want to assign a Mute Group number for.
- Press + or - to choose the same Mute Group number for the pad from step 6.
- Repeat the Steps for any remaining pads as desired.
- When you're finished, press the KIT button. The new settings are saved automatically.