The SY-1000 is designed to function with either, a standard 1/4" TS mono guitar/instrument cable input, or a GKC 13 pin cable with GK divided pickup input. The SY-1000 has patches that are specifically designed to function with either of these inputs, a 1/4" guitar Input, or the GK input.
It's important to note, that P01.1 to P47.4 are designed to work with the GK input, and GK pickup, these are considered GK patches. The normal guitar input will not work with these specific patches.
Technically, any patch may be adjusted for either GK input or Normal guitar input, thus patches may vary, and any patch can be a GK Patch for GK input or a Normal Patch for guitar input, either one.
Please review this alternate article for how to adjust patch settings from GK to Normal patch guitar input: SY-1000: How To Change Patch Type To Normal Patch For Guitar Input
Note: By adjusting any patch to a Normal Patch, it will limit the synth possibilities, parameter options and sound. For example, Instruments 1-3 will be limited to Dynamic Synth only, when Normal Patch guitar input is used.
BTS for SY-1000 screen capture visual:
Please review below for example functions that can be setup with your guitar's Normal pickup input and the GK pickup input.
Normal Pickup/Normal Patch:
- Default Normal Patches start on P48.1 and go up to P50.4. In any Normal Patch, press the EFFECTS button, to access the patch effect chain view, this will allow the user to turn on and off the Instruments and Effects blocks. The Instruments are on the left side and are the tone generators triggered by input, in this case from the 1/4" TS mono input which can trigger Instrument 1-3 and Normal Input if set on. The user positioned effect blocks will need to be in line, or on the same signal path as the Instrument 1-3 (limited to Dynamic Synth) or Normal Input on the left, for the effects to work and be heard.
- Any effects on the Instrument 1-3 signal paths, will only work and be heard if the Instrument 1-3 is set to on, and the effect block is on the correct signal chain path. Similar scenario for the Normal Input effect chain path and effects apply.
- Once you have the sound you want you can save it to a user patch (for example U15.1).
In order to WRITE/save your custom user settings, simply press the WRITE button, three times, to WRITE/save your custom user settings to the current patch and location.
GK Pickup/GK Patch:
- If you start on GK Patch presets P01.1 to P47.4, by default these patches are only for GK Pickup Input only. For these default patches and settings the 1/4" TS guitar Input will not function.
- In any patch press the EFFECTS button, to enter the effect chain view, you will only be able to use, trigger and hear, Instruments 1-3 by setting them on/off, Normal Input will also work as long as the GK divided pickup selection is set to MIX Mode = center position on GK 3-way switch.
When triggering a GK Patch, either SYNTH or MIX Mode on the GK 3-way switch will function.
The GK-3: Guitar Mode will not be used or applicable.
GK-3: SYNTH Mode = Instrument 1-3
GK-3: MIX Mode = Instrument 1-3 & Normal Input
- Any Effect blocks on the signal paths of Instrument 1-3 or Normal Input set on, will work and be heard. The user can position and program their preferred effects blocks, effect types, set on/off on each specific signal chain for each triggered Instrument 1-3 and Normal Input.
- If you want a single effect block applied to all: Instruments 1-3 and Normal Input, then you'll need to move any chosen Effect blocks after the Balancer node (location where all effect chain paths converge), set to on, for example MST DLY/Master Delay and REV/Reverb are already set up toward the end of the chain. These Effects/Effect blocks after the Balancer node will apply to all signal paths before output.
- Once you have the sound you want, you can save it to a user patch (U15.2 as an example)
In order to WRITE/save your custom user settings, simply press the WRITE button, three times, to WRITE/save your custom user settings to the current user patch and location. If working in a PRESET, then WRITE/save will save the patch to the like/same number User patch.
BTS for SY-1000 screen capture visual and related notes:
For a deep dive in to the SY-1000's capabilities, check out this video from BOSS artist Alex Hutchings:
BOSS SY-1000, USING A JACK PLUG EXPLANATION VIDEO. By Alex Hutchings. - YouTube